U.S. / Canadian Customs

Click here for information on bringing firearms into Canada.
US Customs - Beaver Creek

All U.S. citizens driving through Canada will be required to show their passport. Driver's licenses or birth certificates alone may no longer be accepted as proof of citizenship

Traveling on an Alaska State ferry picture ID will be required to board any ship for anyone 18 years or older. You will be asked for your passport number if you are traveling to or from Pr. Rupert BC Canada. If you board the ferry in Bellingham Washington and disembark in Haines or Skagway Alaska you will have to drive across the Canadian border if your final destination is Anchorage or Fairbanks and you will need a passport at the borders.

As of June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens will be required to present a valid passport, a NEXUS or Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card, or an enhanced driver's license/enhanced identification card when seeking to enter the United States at its land or water crossings. For more information, visit the Canada Border Services Agency web site.

U.S. residents who are not citizens should carry their Alien Registration Receipt Cards. Permanent residents of Canada who are not Canadian citizens should have their Landed Immigrant Visas. Canadian customs officials will require travelers to show proof of sufficient funds for the trip. Motorists may be asked to show their vehicle registration card or proof of title and liability insurance coverage.

If you are traveling with a child not in your full legal custody, please check with a U.S. or Canada customs office about additional paperwork that may be required.
Traveling with Firearms.

Canada has enacted strict laws with respect to the import, export, possession, use storage, display and transportation of firearms. These federal laws came into effect on January 1, 2001. Canadian government administrative fees and approvals are required for the transport of weapons through Canada, and some weapons are prohibited altogether. Visitors should check with Canadian customs prior to traveling, or get more information on the Internet at the Canada Border Services Agency and the Canadian Firearms Centre.

Customs Office Phone Numbers and Hours

Haines U.S. Customs - (907) 767-5511
Open 7:00 am to 11:00 pm (Alaska Time) year-round in either direction

Haines Canada Customs – (907) 767-5540
Open 7:00 am to 11:00 pm (Yukon Time) year-round in either direction

Prince Rupert Canada Customs - (250) 627-3003
Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Terminal Customs Office is open for ferry arrivals and departures seven days a week.

Skagway U.S. Customs - (907) 983-2325
Open 7:00am-11:00pm (Alaska Time) Nov. 1-Mar. 3; 24 hours a day Apr. 1-Oct. 31

Skagway Canada Customs - (867) 821-4111
Open 8:00am-12:00pm (Yukon Time) Nov. 1-Mar. 31; 24 hours a day Apr. 1-Oct. 31

Before you travel to Canada visit the Canada Border Services Agency web site.